Thursday, October 4, 2012

Oreos

Mmmmmm, Oreos.

Who can resist the chocolaty, crunchy, creamy goodness of an Oreo? I'm not a big fan of packaged supermarket bakery goods, but even I love Oreos. So I took this crunchy cookie and made it an object lesson for Mathew 6 when Jesus is giving the Sermon on the Mount and teaching how to not be hypocritical.

With hypocrites, they look good on the outside, but their heart isn't in the right place. So I brought some hypocrites to class. Some crunchy, creamy, chocolatey hypocrites:


Like hypocrites, they appear good on the outside, but their heart isn't quite what it should be... That's because first, I hollowed it out:


...and found the most vile (but edible) substance I could:

 

...and filled the sweet Oreos with horseradish.


Muwahahahaha! 



They looked good on the outside, but inside they were nasty.
Here's a picture of the Oreos I made - one stack are the horseradish-filled hypocrites, the other is yummy, delicious Oreo goodness. 

Can you tell which is which?


The stack on the left is the good ones - I opened them and squished the filling a little so they'd look handled. The stack on the right is more perfect looking, but the heart is bad. Really bad. 

I had volunteers come up and choose one Oreo from a plate - there were 4 volunteers and they had to each choose one Oreo (two from one plate of good Oreos, two from the other plate of hypocritical Oreos). They could examine them as long as they wanted. None of the students could tell by looking at them which was which. Once they'd decided who was going to choose from which plate, I said "go" and they grabbed their Oreo and shoved it in their mouth (the rules to be a volunteer were that you had to be able to put a whole Oreo in your mouth and you couldn't be allergic to anything - it'd be terrible if your seminary teacher killed you...)

Several students went running from the classroom for the water fountain!

It was fun. The best part was finding something to do with all the good Oreo hearts I carved out...





No comments:

Post a Comment