Friday, October 19, 2012

Athena Leadership Summit 2012








I’m back from last weekend’s 2012 Athena International Leadership Summit in Chicago and have been trying to “settle” back into my regular routine, but can’t.


  (The wonderful Ogden/Weber Chamber Women in Business
committee members and me. From top left: Kristie Nielsen,
Joanna Kellerstrauss, Debbie Williams, Meg Johnson.)

It was the first conference I’ve been to that I haven’t spoken at and I am so glad I got to just sit back and soak up the messages and the inspiration from everyone who attended (even if they didn’t speak from the stage). I was so touched by everyone I met and I don’t think I could ever settle back into what I used to be or do again.

Every moment seemed to be “Aha!” and here are a few crumbs from the goddess buffet:

1.      The whole event began with Diane Jeppson, the President and CEO of Athena International, give her opening remarks, I was confused by her gestures when she discussed “Giving Back.” Instead of extending her hand out toward an unknown recipient of her goodwill, she reached out and grabbed the air, then pulled the “recipient” back into herself.
It was weird.

She did it several times before I caught on to her unspoken message. Athena Leaders don’t just throw out advice and counsel for others with passive “Well you should just…” comments. Athena leaders nurture and walk with those they lead.  

2.      Martha Mertz, the founder of Athena International, spoke on the Athena leadership principle “Live Authentically.” She told about the Athena awards itself, each of which is a unique and numbered work of art. Here is me when I won the Athena award earlier this year:

Martha talked about how the piece itself represents an Athena leader:

The base is a solid piece of marble representing a strong foundation.

The bronze figure is a leader who is polished and poised.

The crystal prism demonstrates the light the Athena leader exudes.

(cool coincidence – this is the 30th anniversary of the Athena Award and I am 30!)

Martha definitely lives authentically. She is regal and you can see her kind eyes just as easily from the elevator as you can from the stage.

(Martha Mertz, Founder of Athena International, and me)

3.    Donna Messer…I was going to write a brief title for her but her accomplishments are so many that they are too many to write and a few wouldn’t suffice. Plus she’s awesome. She totally networked me in the bathroom and it was so smooth, I didn’t realize I was being “networked” until I was out of the bathroom – and smiling. She talked (appropriately) on building relationships. One of my favorite things she said (I have copious notes from her presentation – I couldn’t get enough of her) was to “stop thinking about the ‘me’ in the world and start thinking about the ‘we’ in the world.”

4.      All of the speakers were my “favorite” (really, how could I choose?) but Catherine Lee was maybe my favorite of my favorites. She is older and sweet and when she spoke I wanted to curl up in a Lazy-boy and just relax and listen. She spoke about the Athena leadership principle, “Learn Constantly” and there couldn’t have been a more suitable speaker for it! She was a housewife forever and then went into the workforce armed with her husband’s advice: “Whatever they ask you to do, just tell them ‘Yeah, I feel comfortable doing that’ and come home and I’ll show you how!” Within a (very) short time she was working in China where they affectionately called her the “big, elegant lady.” She isn’t big – it meant more that what she did was awesome. She lives by (and exemplifies) a quote I absolutely love: You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face (Eleanor Roosevelt).

Those are just tiny bits of what I took home from such a great event. I came to the conference knowing that I AM an Athena Leader (hey, I even have the statue), but I left understanding that, just like each award is a work of art, each Athena Leader has to  continue to put in the work before she’s refined enough to be art.

I’m at the beginning of my refining process. But I know refinement is possible because I met some very fine works of art over the weekend. The polished and poised Athena Leaders who spoke (and not just onstage) showed me the kind of Athena leader I want to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment