Saturday, October 13, 2012

Junking

I love garage-sale-ing. When I was a kid, my family spent Saturday mornings driving around the neighborhoods looking for fun stuff - dad drove, mom was navigator, holding the classified section. Many times on the way to one advertised garage sale we'd see a posterboard sign for another one and we'd detour (surely we couldn't miss any junk!)

It put real meaning to the phrase, "One man's junk is another man's treasure."

We even called it "Junking."

I became so pro that when I had my own garage sale many years ago before I was paralyzed, I knew exactly what to do to get as many people there as humanly possible. I advertised in the paper and on KSL (a newer tool for avid garage salers) and of course, I put up signs. I put up so many signs that there wasn't a visitor to my garage sale who didn't comment on how easy it was to find.

So I had to laugh when we were recently in Wyoming and passed by this newer "bulk" method of garage sale advertising:




Whit and I laughed. This would have made it way fun if my little hometown growing up did this. But my hometown was maybe eight times bigger than this cute, little place. Still, it would have been cool.

I wanted to go junking, but Whit doesn't buy into the whole "One man's junk is another man's treasure" bit. His saying is more like, "If you want treasure, don't spend it on another man's junk."

1 comment:

  1. Lol, When I saw the first picture I was like "Hey! That looks exactly like how people do their garage sales here!" Then I looked closer and read your part on it being here and was all "It IS our selling corner!"
    I grew up doing the whole shebang of driving around every Saturday too, I loved it :) I miss doing it too, since here there really isn't nearly as much as in California.
    And Andy is the same as Whit, lol. He'll go to some occasionally, but he's more of "Its just junk, you wont find anything", so I end up going with my friend when I can :)

    ReplyDelete