Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Get revelation this weekend!


I don't usually stop and take the time to get my picture in front of something cool. I like pictures of people with people mostly. But I couldn't not take a picture when we went to SLC for a meeting in the Church Office Building and got to park in the Special Parking lot that they regulate so severely. In there, we saw one of the "secret" tunnels that connects SLC underground! These tunnels make it so that the Church General Authorities can travel between buildings like the Church office Building, the Temple, and the Conference Center without having to travel on the sidewalks and crossing the streets. It was cool.

I know these tunnels will get used a lot this weekend during General Conference! I am so excited for this weekend! Yesterday, I taught my seminary students how to have revelation during Conference. I've gotten revelations during Conference ever since I learned the special "trick" to it, which really isn't a trick at all, it's just, well, I don't know what it is. I just know it works.

To get revelations, all I have to do (or you have to do) is think of questions you want to know the answers to, write them down, and watch or listen to Conference with those questions in front of you while you hold a pencil. You will get the answers and then you write them down.

It's not enough to just pray and tell Heavenly Father what your questions are. I mean, I know that works also, seeing as how God answers all prayers. But for those of us who need a little help hearing revelations, this formula works:

written questions + pencil in hand = answers

 Last saturday in the RS General broadcast (which, by the way, rocked) I did this. Only I only had one questions, which was: What should my questions be for General Conference next weekend? Even though the Chapel I was in was almost pitch black, I had my journal open with the question written at the top and I received revelations! Five questions Heavenly Father wants me to ponder this week and get revelation for this weekend and three other revelatory happenings. Two which made sense and the third I just though I wrote it down because it sounded cool, thinking of it as more of a note I was taking instead of a revelation I was receiving (I don't concern myself too much with taking notes on the talks too much, I mean, I do a little bit, writing down cool stuff, but I am more interested - and keep separate - the revelations I get). But that little "note" I wrote was an actual revelation also, not having to do with my question, but rather it was counsel and direction for me and my church calling I received the very next day.

If we ponder and WRITE DOWN questions we have for God, not just yes /no questions but good questions, ones we really want t know the answers to, and LISTEN to Conference with a PENCIL in our hand (or reeeeally, reeeelly close by), then we will receive REVELATIONS. Not just a few, but as many as we ask for.

We don't have to be a Bishop or a Stake President's wife to get revelations. When I was in my early teens, I read about Nephi and Lehi (the brothers not the sons) in Helamen 11:

But it came to pass that Nephi and Lehi, and many of their brethren who knew concerning the true points of doctrine, having many revelations daily, therefore they did preach unto the people, insomuch that they did put an end to their strife in that same year.
  
When I read that, I thought, "Well why not me, too?" So I work at it because I want those "many revelations daily." I know we all can have them and General Conference is the very best way I have found to get answers to every complex and not-so-complex question that I have - even if the answer is (as it has been sometimes) "I'll tell you later."

Regarding revelations that can happen during Conference, Elder Holland said, "If we teach by the Spirit and you listen by the Spirit, some one of us will touch on your circumstance, sending a personal prophetic epistle just to you."

Come listen to living prophets
 

No comments:

Post a Comment