Monday, March 5, 2012

Birthday

I turned 30 on March 1 and got some pretty awesome gifts. As many of you know, I like art. A few of my nieces and nephews made these originals for me as I turned the big 3-0:

Piece: The Red Dress
Artist: Naomi Bird, age 8

This is marker on paper. It is an original of me in a beautiful red dress knitting myself a forest green scarf, indicating that there is opposition in all things. Despite the fact that I am alone, there is no loneliness as I am watching my husband, Whit, perform his halftime act on television. This piece of art is a one-of-a-kind and lives now on my fridge.




Piece: The Baker Meg (oh yes, it came with this title)
Artist: Cael Child, age 10

Mixed medium marker and crayon on paper. There is no hidden agenda and the artist wants all to know why he created this piece and for whom. His colors are exquisite and I especially like the filled in bubble letters with the dark green and polka dots. Obviously the focal point of the piece is the main character (me) and the happiness exuding from me as I bake with my magically elongating arms. The backside shows the title "To The Baker Meg."

Only those closest to me know about these arms.

Interestingly, if you look closely, you can see another artist has added his special touch to this piece.


Piece: Cowgirl Meg
Artist: Vivian Bird, age 6

Sketch pencil and crayon on construction paper. Portrait of me - bodacious me. Obviously the artist, not only known for her artistry, is psychic and knew that I would be going to Wyoming the day after my birthday where I would be tempted to don this outfit and dance these moves in a real-life- dance club we passed called the "Saddle-Lite Bar and Dance Club.'



Piece: Meg-o-Mind
Artist: Flint Child, age 2

Mixed medium crayon and marker on paper. This new-age contemporary artist graciously gave me his newest abstract expressionist piece. The creative master got inside my head to reveal the thoughts I had as I turned 30.

...or maybe these are what my thoughts would look like every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment