Thursday, November 18, 2010

Falling

I'm considering going into seminary teaching and am currently student teaching - which is so much harder than speaking. It takes so much more time and energy. I taught last Tuesday and had to quick rush to the Ogden Golf and Country Club to speak for the Weber Chamber's Women in Business luncheon. After that I had to rush home and bake cookies to send to my Mia Maids for their activity (I couldn't be there and wanted to be supportive) before I left again to speak at Weber High School's volleyball banquet. As I was baking cookies, I had the mixer going with the butter and sugar and was getting out the oatmeal, which was on the bottom shelf of the cupboard and as I was reaching just as far as I could, I fell! Totally and completely out of my wheelchair.

I was so tired and frustrated and sick and I started to cry. I cried like a baby on the tile floor. I was thinking the whole time - I'm a motivational speaker! I'm a motivational speaker! There's got to be a lesson here! But I couldn't think of one. So I stopped crying. I sat myself cross-legged, and continued to measure the ingredients for the cookies.

When Whit came home, he found me on the floor, surrounded by various measuring cups of flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, and baking powder.

I guess sometimes we fall just because we fall and not really for any reason. So, when we're done crying, we have to right ourselves and keep cooking.

2 comments:

  1. You would make a great seminary teacher, Meg. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have fallen twice in the last 2 weeks!! I know what you mean!! I LOVE what you write and always look forward to it.:)

    ReplyDelete