Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Head wars

I had this pounding feeling like I should visit my neighbor from across the street. Her husband had left her and I am her visiting teacher, even though she's inactive. It went on for a couple days and I never acted on it. (In my defense, it's not like I can go knock on her door, I have to just sit at the bottom of her stairs and throw rocks until someone hears me - or I just wait until I see her outside already...which is rare). Anyway, an easy opportunity never came and late Friday night I baked some cookies to take to her Saturday morning (why do we always need a reason to visit?) Anyway, Saturday morning I was getting ready to take her the cookies and Whit was putting on his grubby work clothes because he had to go help someone move (since he's been in the Elder's Quorum presidency, he's had to do a bunch of stuff for the members of the ward). He called the president to find out the address of where to go and guess what - it was my neighbor across the street. She was moving away and I didn't even know. Sigh. I'm the worst visiting teacher ever.

Too bad that backwards isn't an option.

I decided then that whenever I get a nagging feeling like that, I'm going to act (whatever it is). Since then, I've done some weird things, but it's always turned out sucessful - and not just for others, but for me.

Like, I was driving through my neighborhood and I saw a nice looking black lady lady on a motorized scooter and a feeling came that I needed to stop and ask her to be in the Ms. Wheelchair Utah pageant. I was like, no way! And I sped up my car to drive faster. First of all, it's awkward in anycase to invite someone to be in the pageant, every time I'd done that, they get offended (not joking), so I only do it through referrals now. Second, she was in a scooter, not a wheelchair. Scooters have a bad rep in the real wheelchair world, they're reserved for older people (which is good, they sometimes need that kind of help) and fat or lazy people (am I letting too much of my awful self show thru this post?). But as I sped away, I remembered that I'd PROMISED myself I'd act on those feelings. So I rolled my eyes and turned my car around to go ask her (really though, what was I going to say? "Hey, I can see you're not walking. I can't wak either. We have tons in common. Let's be friends.")

I'm so sure.

But I did and said something not unlike what's above. But it was weird - she was so excited about the pageant and said she would definitely do it (that was a first for me). Even more though, she was excited that I'd stopped to talk to her. She asked about my car. She was really nice. When I was ready to leave she grabbed my hand and said in a very born-again Christian way that she was sure God had sent me.

I like it when stuff works out :)

1 comment:

  1. That's such a good story! Don't let yourself get down for not always heeding promptings... it happens to everyone. Way to follow your instincts though :-)

    By the way, I'm with you on the scooter thing! I realize that they are necessary for elderly people who can't get around, but mostly I just see the fat lazy people on them and it pisses me off! Save it for someone who REALLY needs it

    ReplyDelete