Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Priscilla

I have a pet!

Whit never had pets growing up, so this has been a long time coming. I have wanted a dog (he's not quite there yet), a cat (never going to happen), a chinchilla (yeah right), but he finally consented and we got...


...a chicken.

Her name is Priscilla. She is a "Cochan" - the kind with feathers on her feet. She is straight off a Mary Engelbright calendar.

My parents have always had chickens and my mom got Priscilla (she named her) and brought her home to join their other chickens but nobody liked her. The other chickens are regular Rhode Island Reds and were probably jealous of the feathers on her feet. Ayway, they pecked her, almost to death. She only survived because she stuck her little head out through the chicken wire and my dad found her, barely alive.

I guess she was at the bottom of the 'pecking order' - this is where that term comes from. I guess if there's no rooster, the chickens are meaner to each other.

So my mom asked and Whit said yes! So now we have Priscilla! I think Whit was hoping she'd eat the box elder bugs. She doesn't.


But she is seriously the calmest, most friendly chicken I have ever seen. She hops up onto my lap and just nestles down. I love it, even tough the whole time I'm thinking, "Don't poop. Don't poop. Don't poop."

She eats out of my hand - or anyone's hand. She comes running when I get home from. She is so cute.

Our neighbors have met her and have all commented on how mellow and friendly she is. It surprises us all. Even the cows love her. I don't know why, but they often come close to the fence and stare.


But she loves me the best.

We got her a friend, a Rhode Island Red from my dad's chicken bundle. We named her Roxanne. At first they didn't like each other, but now they're inseperable. Always running together through the yeard, eating the bugs (not the box elder bugs), and pooping on the deck.

They're favorite place to poop is the deck. Chicken punks. 

5 comments:

  1. Chickens make the best pets, fun to watch, and they really become "friends"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE chickens as pets! I had one in California (raised her from an egg!), and she ate ALL the bugs and insects (her fave were potato bugs, we didn't have box elder bugs in Cali). While we had her, we didn't have any wasp or bee problems either, it was so nice!
    She was best friends with our Australian Sheppard, Fawn, even though Fawn thought she was a toy at first. They liked to chase each other around the yard in circles, then stop midway, and trade off on who chased who, it was hilarious.
    She also beat up any cats who tried to eat her (we came home from church one time to find one with its side pecked away but it was still alive).
    The day she died (a raccoon attacked and killed her), Fawn went outside to play and ran around looking all over for her. She wouldn't stop, and eventually we had to show her Speckles' body before we buried her. Fawn mourned for her for over a month. She would lay in the corner of the living room and suck on my little brother's old baby blanket and whine all day, it was very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your chicken friend. We had a chicken for about 6 years. Really. Then one day she was gone. I think she got old and became a meal.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, we had a chicken when I was a kid. We were city people. Juliet was her name. I remember her fondly to this day.

    ReplyDelete