Monday, October 31, 2011

Pumpkin Time

We had a bunch of rogue pumpkins growing in our garden - leftovers from last year and growing despite lack of water and constant harassment from neighborhood dogs. I'm not really sure how they grew actually...

But I'm glad because I really just can't help myself around pumpkins. Those bumpy, lumpy, beautiful balls of canvas. I hate - scratch that - loathe feeling like I'm wasting time, so I don't read for fun or watch TV by myself, but I can't resist taking the time to paint a pumpkin.

And so, with dinner cooking/burning behind me in my kitchen, I sat at my table and painted through the week...

I always have the headband around my wrist and it comes in handy when I'm painting and needing to push hard on the brush. I just tie the paintbrush to my hand.

This little football-shaped pumpkin couldn't stand up on its own (hey, I understand...) so I just painted it on it's side and it's stem made the perfect side ponytail.

This is when I remind you that I'm not a "professional" pumpkin painter...just an avid one.


This one started out as a flower. Actually, they all start out as flowers... But this one turned into a cross between a gremlin and The "Count" from Sesame Street.

One...(muahahaha) Two...(muahahaha) Three...(muahahaha)


This one stayed a flower.

This one started out as two pumpkin friends but turned into a 70s-blonde-disco-superman and his fuzzy-haired red-headed girlfriend trying to hold hands above a blue heart. I'm sure there's meaning somewhere...


This fierce piece of pumpkin art started out as a flower (surprise!) but I just couldn't help myself. Go Florida Gators and all my friends from Jacksonville!

My husband calls this one "Dragon Horse."
I think it's kind of catchy.


And here they are, in all their splendor (sans football head girl because she's still drying on the table) for my 26 trick-or-treaters to see!

And I suppose I'll get started on my fall collection of fine-pumpkin-art. As you can see, I have my artistic work cut out for me:


Have a fabulous Halloween!

...all legit artists use the word "fabulous."

I'm so legit.
Too legit.
Too legit to quit.

...hey, hey!

3 comments:

  1. I love all your pumpkins... so cute Megs! And you really are legit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg--I've been stalking you since my daughter's friend, Kendra Muller was in an accident that left her paralyzed and you came and spent several hours in the hospital visiting her. You rock (and roll). I just found out that you are coming to speak at our YW Stake Fireside on January 15, 2012. I can't wait! Thanks for agreeing to come. Kendra is not in my stake--in the stake next to mine, but I'll be sure and invite her. You're the best and your pumpkins are too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sierra! I feel legit.

    And thanks, Jill! I'm glad I get to come to your fireside - I hope Kendra can come but even if she can't, I'm speaking for her stake's fireside later in the spring :)

    ReplyDelete