Monday, January 31, 2011

Old

I'm not sure what it is about me that makes people think I'm older than I am. I haven't gone wrinkly or gray or anything, but for some reason people seem to always think I'm someone's mom. And not just any someone like a cute little baby - no, they think I'm a mom to older kids like teens.

I went to Logan with a friend (a FRIEND) of mine to apply for her scholarship there and someone asked if I was her mom.She's 18. I was 27.

I was at a service event in Murray with a 14-year-old and someone asked if she was "mine."

I was with a 17-year-old and someone asked if he was my son.

Ack!

But the winner happened last night - again in Logan - when I was waiting to speak at a fireside. Someone was being welcoming and friendly and chatting with me, and then asked who I knew there. I told her the name of the Young Women president because she was the only person who I knew (she was the one who invited me and coordinated the event) and the nice, friendly, welcoming lady then asked me if I was the Young Women president's MOM!

The Young Women President has 4 kids, so this nice lady basically asked me if I was someone's GRANDMOTHER!

Double Ack!

I felt bad for the lady who even asked me because she felt super bad! It's got to feel like asking someone if they're pregnant and they aren't - though, nothing could be that bad...

I once asked a lady when she was due and she wasn't even pregnant - I still feel terrible! Now I won't even mention it, even if it's blatantly obvious that someone is pregnant. I'd rather seem quietly disinterested than out loud rude, I think.

3 comments:

  1. I don't get it, Meg! How surprising and odd. Maybe it's because I'm "old" (er...old-ER than YOU anyway by about 20 years) and have a couple of Grandkids you look so fresh faced and young...NOT like the mother of a college student, let alone a YW president with FOUR children. Silly people, they are.
    ps...I'm officially stalking your blog now. Yep, added you last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I understand why - you have a face and demeanor that proclaim you are trustworthy.
    What they are trying to say is you should be someone's mom because you would be perfectly awesome :)

    Hmm, no one asks me if I'm a mother... oh dear! I am starting to feel envious!!

    I saw the video of you at the grocery store, and although I am sure you are quite sick of people telling you that you are amazing - here it is again (don't look if you don't want)... You Are Amazing, and I am really happy you are blogging so I can read you :) Hey, Happy Valentine's day for yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spiritually wise beyond your years..that's the answer.

    ReplyDelete