Monday, April 6, 2009

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya tomorrow!



This happened last Christmas time, but I keep thinking about it and wanted to share.

I had just learned how to tease my hair with a comb. To do it, I take a stretchy headband and wrap it around my left hand three times, then I wedge the comb in the band and push it through some of the teeth so it holds. My left hand had a surgery a long time ago, so it can kind of hold things all alone, so I use that hand to hold the hair and the comb to do the teasing. My hair has been the single largest frustration since being paralyzed, no one could get it to look how I want, especially me. So learning this was a big, big deal.

I'd been doing my own hair for a couple weeks (and loving it). I keep my stretchy headband around my right wrist like a bracelet, always at the ready, and a comb in my purse, in my car, and with my make-up. But, I'm awesome at leaving my purse comb in my car or putting my car comb in my purse or taking my make-up comb with me when I leave the house. I was always losing my combs at first - I guess I just wasn't used to having them.

Around Christmas time, I had lost them all and needed one - badly - to do my hair for Sunday. Late Saturday night, Whit and I went to Big Lots near our house for the specific purpose of purchasing a comb. Since our list was small, we didn't get a basket. As we roamed the store, we found other "necessities" we needed like toilet paper, chips, some peanuts, and a few other things in addition to a small pack of combs. We didn't have any basket, so we just piled everything onto my lap.

We checked out and paid with our card (we rarely have cash on us). Whit carried the bags and I was right behind him when I looked on my lap and saw the combs! We didn't pay for them. We looked back into the store and, because it was so late, they just had one cashier open and the line was so long! Whit grunted that he didn't want to buy just the 45 cent combs on the credit card since we didn't have any cash on us.

Grr!

I was so grumpy, but he promised me that he'd look through the house and find my combs when we got back.

On our way back to our house, we stopped by Betos and got a burrito. The lady overcharged Whit's card by a lot but didn't know how to refund his money on the card, so she just gave him cash back - yay! I was excited and told him he could run back into the store and buy those combs now! We weren't very far from the store anyway - but instead of turning right to go back to the store, he turned left to go back home!

I was freaking out, telling him that I'd already looked everywhere in the whole house and he'd never find them! He promised me that he would and kept driving. At home, he sat me on the couch while he looked. I was super grumpy because I already had looked and didn't think he could find them.

It has been a sore spot in our marriage that Whit isn't as lavish with his compliments as I'm used to. Sometimes it's hard when he doesn't take note of how I look. I'm definitely used to more verbal praise.

But I could see that he was trying and I want to be a good wife. I tried to be calm and tell him that without my comb, my hair isn't going to look very good tomorrow (for church) and if he could please, please just tell me that he likes my hair, it would make me feel so much better tomorrow morning.

So exasperated, he comes into the family room and, with both arms wide, tells me with his whole being: I DO like your hair tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Whit is so cute... that is a great story. It made me smile :-) And your hair ALWAYS does look good!

    ReplyDelete