Thursday, July 16, 2009

Fast Food, Slow thinkers

It took me over an hour yesterday to drive home from 5300 South and the hospital where I volunteer on Wednesdays. It was a hot, hot day yesterday and my air conditioner wasn't working. My windows -all of them - were down to let the warm air at least be moving and keep the inside of my car breezy.

I know I am mostly cold, but I can get hot, too. It's actually kind of dangerous because I can't sweat (at least not to cool me down) and I can overheat easily. I was trying to avoid that and kept hunkering down into the shadows by the door handle so I could get out of the sun.

It didn't really work and by the time I got onto 89 to go into Ogden, I was so, so hot. Hot and tired (you know that kind of super tired you get when you're way hot?). Anyway, I called Whit and told him I was picking up fast food for dinner because I'd be too tired to make anything.

Actually I'm kind of lying. I'd been planning on getting hamburgers from Carl's Jr anyway. I LOVE them so much. I can't help it, they're delicious. I especially love the Bourbon burger. Mmmm. So I was pretty excited and hungry. I had a coupon for a 2 for 1 Teriyaki burger and my mouth was already watering.

I pulled into a little strip mall area where there are a few restaurants and shops and things. Carl's Jr is there and it's really convenient because it's like 2 minutes from our house.

But I was disappointed that there was a long line. Two cars, then me, all waiting to order through the box. I was frustrated because I was hot and the sun was beating inside my car. I kept hiding in the shadows to at least get a little relief. It didn't really work and I was getting hotter. I started fanning myself with my Teriyaki Burger coupon.

The two cars were taking freaking forever. I was like come ON. Order already. By the time my turn came I was a little hurried and asked what their specials were. 99 cent crisp burritos. Carl's Jr also has like a small Green Burrito-type menu, I guess for competition purposes. That wasn't what I wanted, though.

So I told the guy I wanted two Teriyaki Burgers and I had a coupon.

"What?" came the static-y guy on the other end.

I said it louder: "Two Teriyaki Burgers and I have a coupon."

"Sorry. What is your order?"

"Teriyaki Burgers. The Teriyaki Burgers!" I yelled.

"What?"

Ugh! Come on! "Two TERIYAKI BURGERS and I have a COUPON!" I practically screamed. Geez.

"Um...This is Taco Maker."

1 comment:

  1. My brain works like that when I get hot too--or I guess my brain "doesn't work" like that---I become pretty useless and frazzled, and frankly kind of mean ;) Thanks for yet another laugh, you are the best!

    ReplyDelete